Careers and Fellowships
Job Openings at SVN
Thacher Executive Search has been retained to recruit an Executive Director for Social Venture Network. To apply, please contact Linda@thachersearch.com or Adam@thachersearch.com directly.
Overview: Why is this a great opportunity?
- Make an impact in the world: This is an opportunity to re-invent and execute transformative strategies and initiatives--such as triple bottom line fiscal management and socially responsible investing-- that will help lead an experienced network of 600 innovative business leaders to creating a more just, humane and sustainable world.
- Work with the best in this field: Founded nearly 30 years ago, SVN is a pioneer and leader in the social venture movement. Among the social entrepreneurs who comprise our membership are the co-founders of Ben & Jerry’s, Eileen Fisher, Worldwise, Plum Organics and numerous other highly successful and sustainable businesses.
- Create positive change with new ideas: The leadership and members are excited and ready to realize new potential by developing self-sustaining initiatives/programs that could eventually allow SVN to operate independently of revenue from grants and donations.
- A great team and staff will support you: SVN board and staff are dedicated and passionate: theirs is a strong, positive, collegial culture with a broad diversity of skills and experience.
- Feel good about your work: This opportunity connects personal values and work.
- Have fun while you work: The people in this group, this network, this family are smart, engaged and fun.
Founded in 1987, Social Venture Network is a nonprofit membership organization of nearly 600 mission-driven business leaders, social entrepreneurs and impact investors engaged in building a more just, humane and sustainable world.
SVN’s mission is to support and empower diverse, innovative leaders who leverage business to serve the greater good. SVN achieves its mission by:
- Building valuable peer-to-peer connections among influential business leaders, social entrepreneurs, and impact investors who support a triple bottom line: people, planet and profit
- Fostering high-impact collaborations that build a just, humane and sustainable world
- Supporting whole-person leadership to enable our members to succeed and grow, both personally and professionally
Theory of Change
SVN works to create a just, humane and sustainable world by:
- Supporting and promoting innovative entrepreneurs and business leaders who contribute to the well-being of their employees, customers, investors, communities and the environment
- Fostering strong connections and collaborations among business leaders and entrepreneurs that lead to groundbreaking solutions to social, economic and environmental problems
- Contributing to an ecosystem that enhances and supports these solutions and promotes a just, sustainable economy
SVN connects its members to a growing community of innovative business leaders and social entrepreneurs to help them improve their businesses, enhance their leadership, and expand their impact. We have helped thousands of entrepreneurs create more successful, responsible and sustainable enterprises.
The ED of SVN will be a leader who demonstrates a passionate commitment to creating a just society through socially responsible business practices. The ED will work with SVN’s leadership team to move this unique membership organization into its next phase of growth by energizing, expanding and leveraging SVN’s membership and key initiatives.
The new ED will effectively inspire, lead and facilitate through an inclusive, collaborative work style that embraces the concept of servant leadership. The new ED will coalesce a group of diverse, accomplished, high-impact leaders around commonly shared values and goals through highly effective networking skills and a strong ability to work comfortably with highly accomplished leaders in their own right.
The ED will enhance member services by gaining an in-depth understanding of who the members are and identifying creative ways for members to utilize and benefit from participation in SVN. Specific enhancements may include:
- Increasingly timely and meaningful response to member requests
- Expansion of opportunities for partnerships and alliances
- Facilitation of joint venture and other business opportunities between and among members
- Connection of members with the leaders and resources that will help them succeed and grow.
The ED will work to expand SVN’s membership, with a focus on recruiting more business leaders representing larger mission-driven companies ($25 million +) while increasing the diversity of the membership. The ED will also develop successful strategies and tactics to increase SVN’s earned and contributed revenue and funding streams.
The ED will communicate with confidence to SVN members, funders, partners and stakeholders. The successful candidate will also be a motivator and mentor to staff and will encourage enhancement of professional development opportunities for those staff.
- Co-create and execute a transformative strategy that will lead a network of nearly 600 innovative business leaders to accelerate social and environmental progress.
- Develop sustainable initiatives/programs that will eventually allow SVN to operate independently of revenue from grants and donations.
- Maintain and enhance effective working relationships with SVN’s Board of Directors, staff and Ambassadors.
- Diversify and grow the organization's base of financial support.
- Enhance member services and cultivate and maintain relationships with new and existing members.
- Support and develop SVN staff as demonstrated by high staff satisfaction/morale, improved member services and growth in total income.
- Strengthen an organization that is recognized as a strong leader in supporting, connecting and promoting mission-driven business leaders, social entrepreneurs and impact investors.
An ideal candidate could come from both a non profit and a for profit enterprise. A candidate from a for profit will have led an organization with $5-20mm in revenues and a staff of at least 10-20. Industry experience in a service business is preferred over a product company, but both backgrounds will be considered. If the candidate comes from a non profit, they should have held the top leadership position with a budget of at least $1-3mm and a staff of 10-20. Candidates who have grown revenues of their organization and led new initiatives are strongly preferred. Given the values of SVN, it would be preferable if someone had led a socially responsible business or if not, that their personal and professional values align with “triple bottom line” enterprises.
SVN seeks an inclusive leader who has demonstrated the following core competencies through past professional accomplishments:
- Demonstrated ability to inspire, support and connect diverse members through strategic thinking, relationship development, and consensus-building
- Experience in effectively managing change and evolving an organizational culture
- Track record of successful fundraising, sales or membership growth
- Demonstrated ability to identify and create win-win relationships with key strategic partners, media, community, and business leaders
- Experience in the use of data analytics and performance metrics to improve program operations
- Experience working with Boards of Directors and staff in collaborative, effective ways
- Demonstrated expertise in all areas of financial management, including budgeting, financial planning and systems management
- Past success in leveraging the latest technology solutions to enhance organizational efficiency
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including strong presentation and media relations experience
SVN seeks a candidate with the following personal characteristics:
- Creative thinker who understands the mission-driven business movement
- Comfortable working on everything from big picture vision to details around cost-saving opportunities
- Self-confidence, intellectual and emotional intelligence, with the tact to interact effectively with strong leaders representing diverse communities and perspectives
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated commitment to engaging with and learning from people with different backgrounds and opinions
- Entrepreneurial orientation that is marked by innovative thinking
- Ability to listen well, make sound judgments and execute ideas with skill and efficiency
- Accessibility, integrity and trustworthiness
- Enjoys mentoring, managing and inspiring staff
Salary range: Will be based on relevant experience, with additional incentive compensation from new streams of revenue. SVN provides a generous benefits package and actively seeks to recruit people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives reflecting the full diversity of our society.
To apply, please contact Linda@thachersearch.com or Adam@thachersearch.com.